Monday 23 April 2018

Less Hypocrisy And More Consistency, Please

They Doth Protest Too Much

We have been impressed with the way Aussie rugby player, Israel Folau has dealt with the chattering classes over the past week or so.  He is facing heat for daring to profess his faith in Jesus Christ and his submission to the Scriptures.  The chattering classes are going nuts.
"This is not about money or bargaining power or contracts. It's about what I believe in and never compromising that, because my faith is far more important to me than my career and always will be. "After the meeting I went home, turned on the TV and was really disappointed with some of the things that were said in the press conference.
"I felt Raelene (Castle) misrepresented my position and my comments, and did so to appease other people, which is an issue I need to discuss with her and others at Rugby Australia.  "That aside, I hope Raelene (Castle) and Andrew (Hore) [Australian Rugby bosses] appreciate my position, even if it differs with theirs. . . .
Folau, who is off contract at the end of this year, reinforced his belief that homosexuals were destined for hell based on Biblical text.  "I was asked a question by somebody about what God's plan is for gay people," Folau wrote.  "My response to the question is what I believe God's plan is for all sinners, according to my understanding of my Bible teachings, specifically 1 Corinthians 6: 9-10: 
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor the drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
"I do not know the person who asked the question, but that didn't matter. I believed he was looking for guidance and I answered him honestly and from the heart. I know a lot of people will find that difficult to understand, but I believe the Bible is the truth and sometimes the truth can be difficult to hear."   [NZ Herald]
It's a bit precious of all those who are aghast and agog that they don't also stand up to defend the rights of the sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, thieves, the greedy, the drunkards, the revilers, and the swindlers.  Why single out homosexuals as worthy of their defence?  The reality is that the revilers who are condemning Folau loudly disbelieve the Bible.  Period.  Therefore their anger and resentment is entirely gratuitous--manufactured, if you will.

Since they do not believe in the existence of God Himself, they do not believe in Hell either.
  They do not believe in divine judgement.  They reject the very existence of the Kingdom of God.  They mock Christ and Christians.  In principle they think nothing of thievery, nor swindling.  If you can get away with it, why not?  There is no God to be answered to.

Doubtless they think that Folau is a bit of an ignorant simpleton, clinging to that child-like religion still practised in the islands--someone to be humoured, as one would humour an adult who still fervently believed in the existence of Santa Claus.   But why the outrage over his belief that the Bible teaches that unrepentant homosexuals will be excluded from a Kingdom which, they believe, does not exist in the first place?  It makes no sense whatsoever.

Folau's wife, Maria has stood up in support of her husband.
Silver Ferns star Maria Folau has posted a message in support of her husband's anti-gay comments.  Following Israel Folau's controversial statements about gays being going to hell, his wife has now shown her support for her husband and his stance.  Folau, nee Tutaia, posted her message of support to her husband on Instagram on Friday, calling on him to "stand with god no matter what".

Her husband commented on her post: "Amen babe. God is the only one we follow and bow down to."  [NZ Herald]
Good for her.

No comments: