Saturday 4 February 2017

Daily Meditation

Included in the Covenant

“There I will make a horn to sprout for David; I have prepared a lamp for my anointed. His enemies I will clothe with shame, but on him his crown will shine.” (Psalm 132:17–18)

John Piper


Who will benefit from the promises God made to David?

“I will make a horn to sprout for David; I have prepared a lamp for my anointed. His enemies I will clothe with shame, but on him his crown will shine.” (Psalms 132:17–18)

“Come, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and he who has no money, come, buy and eat! . . . And I will make with you an everlasting covenant, my steadfast, sure love for David.” (Isaiah 55:1, 3)

Whoever comes to God through Jesus Christ, his Son, thirsting for what he is, rather than depending on who we are or what we do, God will make with that one a covenant.

What covenant? A covenant defined and secured by God’s “sure love for David.” I take that to mean that I am included in the Davidic covenant. What David gets I will get in Christ Jesus.

And what does that include?

A horn will sprout for me. That is, great strength will fight for me and protect me. There will be a God-prepared lamp for me. That is, light will surround me and darkness will not overcome me. There will be a crown for me. That is, I will reign with the Son of David and sit with him on his throne.

“The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne” (Revelation 3:21).

It is an astonishing thing that I will benefit from the promises made to David. God means for me to be astonished. He means for me to leave my devotions astonished at the power and authority and surety with which I am loved by God.

No comments: