Friday 26 October 2018

Tested and Refined by His Heavenly Father

Freed Pastor Describes His Captivity in Turkey

 'I declared every day God loves me'

Megan Keller
The Hill

Andrew Brunson, the American pastor freed last week after nearly two years of captivity in Turkey, described during an interview Wednesday how his faith helped him get through the experience.

"One of the most important things that someone told me was, just breathe. You don't have expectations that, 'I have to preach to everyone.' Just hang on to God," Brunson said during an appearance on "Fox & Friends."

"It's one of the things I did consistently. I kept talking to God, talking to God, whether he talked to me or not."  Brunson said that habit helped him through the first year in particular when he "was really broken down."

He also spoke about the role his wife, Norine, played in keeping his spirits up. She would visit her husband once a week for up to an hour while he was in prison in Turkey.  "It was my wife who really got me through that time," Brunson said. "God did, but she's the one who brought truth into me in our meetings and would just focus, hang on."

Brunson, who was being held under charges of terrorism, also said he wrote a song in the second year of his captivity.  "One of the lines was, 'Jesus, the faithful one who loves me, always good and true.' Because these are things I doubted," Brunson explained. "But I declared every day: 'God loves me. He's true. He's faithful. He has not abandoned me.'"

Brunson arrived back in the U.S. last Saturday, following his release last Friday.

No comments: