Monday 11 May 2020

"The Lord Is My Portion"

The Steadfast Love of the Lord Never Ceases

These days, it would seem, provide many reasons for discouragement.  And so it was as we read through the book of Lamentations. 

Jeremiah had suffered much.  He had been called to accompany the final rebellious element of Jerusalem as it sought refuge in Egypt.  Jeremiah's duty was to be present with this rebellious minority.  He was to testify to this remnant as they made their way back to Egypt (with all that such a rebellion implied).  As a consequence he shared in their experience of God's wrath and anger, through no fault of his own. 

But, against all expectation, Jeremiah did not lose his trust and hope in God.  And in so doing he becomes an example to us who have been called to live in a Covid-19 world.  He writes:

Remember my affliction and my wanderings,
    the wormwood and the gall!
My soul continually remembers it
    and is bowed down within me.
But this I call to mind,
    and therefore I have hope:

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases;
    his mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
    great is your faithfulness.
“The Lord is my portion,” says my soul,
    “therefore I will hope in him.”

The Lord is good to those who wait for him,
    to the soul who seeks him.

[Lamentations 3:19-25 English Standard Version (ESV)]

Indeed--God's mercies are new every morning.  May all His people throughout our nation and the world find this to be the true. 

No comments: