Friday 25 July 2014

The ContraCelsum S-Files

Bravery Above and Beyond, or Not

The Contra-Celsum S-files record particularly outstanding achievements of human beings--whether glorious or inglorious.  Today we wish to give recognition to the actions of a policeman who went, some would think, above and beyond the call of duty, but others would argue he was simply doing his job exceptionally well. 

The NZ Herald has the account:
West Auckland teen Caleb Heka was in Waikumete Cemetery on Saturday when his dog of six years turned on him.  The brave actions of Henderson police Constable Ben Klinkenberg, the first emergency staff member on the scene, have been credited with saving the young man's life.

It was about 10 minutes before Mr Klinkenberg, 28, turned up.  "Caleb, he was in a pretty bad way," [neighbour] Mrs Ludlow said. "The dog had bitten him in the thigh and his forearm was all torn up, and I think he's obviously gone right through the hand as well."  Mrs Ludlow believed Mr Klinkenberg, who was by himself initially, saved Mr Heka's life.  "My heart sank when he turned up by himself. I thought, 'I should tell him he needs back up'. But [Caleb] had some really bad injuries and someone had to go and help that kid."


When Mr Klinkenberg pepper sprayed the dog, Mr Heka managed to get free, but the animal then turned on the officer, said Mrs Ludlow.  Police said the animal latched onto his chest, biting into and tearing his protective vest.  Mr Klinkenberg did not let go of the dog because he feared it would attack others, police said.  "I think Caleb thought he [Mr Klinkenberg] restrained him and he just bolted, which is fair enough.

"I saw [Mr Klinkenberg] rush back and I think that's when [the dog] must have got him in the chest.  "This dog just went for him. He tried to boot the dog out of the way and the dog just leapt up and went for him again," Mrs Ludlow said.  The dog was finally brought under control when more police, animal control officers and ambulance staff arrived, she said.

Mr Klinkenberg last night said he was "feeling all right" but that his arms were still sore.  "All the muscles that move the fingers in your hands are sore, but it could have been a heck of a lot worse."  He didn't realise until after the attack how bad it actually was.

"I knew I was being bitten but at the time I wasn't worried about the bites. I guess it wasn't until I left the dog and I was in the ambulance that I looked at my arms and I realised he'd got me a bit.  "I'm quite humbled by all the attention. To be honest, any one of my colleagues could have been called to this job and would have done the same."
Constable Klinkenberg could have had the following reactions:
1.  Stand back and wait for back-up.
2.  Called Comms and ask for a dog-handler.
3.  Considered his options and decided it was too risky to approach the dog.
All these might have been prudent things to do--but not the right things. 

The ContraCelsum S-Award is given to Constable Klinkenberg for exemplary professionalism and bravery, for:

Saving the life of young Caleb Heka
Selflessly putting himself in harm's way
Seeing it as the normal and ordinary obligations of a police officer.

Well done.  When folk thus act and react the fabric of civilisation is preserved.

No comments: