Friday 30 August 2013

Calvin's Daily Devotional

Daily Devotional

August 30

Thine Is My Heart: Devotional Readings from the Writings of John Calvin

by John Calvin (compiled by John H. Kromminga)
Reproduced from the OPC Website

Bible Text:
If I have walked with vanity, or if my foot hath hasted to deceit; Let me be weighed in an even balance, that God may know mine integrity. —Job 31:5, 6

Devotional:
Let us learn also to humble ourselves, seeing that the devil is trying to put us to sleep by hypocrisy in order that we may not recognize our faults, and that they may grow worse and worse.

Let us then look within ourselves, and after we have examined our imperfections, let us cry out before God, "Alas, Lord! thou hast given me thy grace to go forward in thy service; I do my best, I strive, I resist all my passions, and I fight against myself; and yet I am not righteous before thee, but there is much wrong with me still."

That is how the faithful, after striving to the limit of their strength, ought always to retain this opinion when there remains any sinfulness mingled with the good which God enables them to do; they must learn to plead guilty before him and to humble themselves, that they may receive grace.


But although we have many fantasies running in our heads from day to day, and thereby perceive that there is terrible corruption in our nature, yet we must not lose heart, but march on still, praying God that he who has begun to give us progress will continue to set us forward and increase in us the strength of his Holy Spirit.

And when the devil comes to incite us to evil, let him not succeed against us, but let us look for help from above; and let us pray that God's Spirit may so reign in our hearts that though there be wicked affections there, they may be so bridled and fettered that they should not toss us hither and thither, but that we may stand steadfast, and be always ready to say, "It is good that God should govern us, and that we should follow his holy will." —Sermons

John Calvin was the premier theologian of the Reformation, but also a pious and godly Christian pastor who endeavored throughout his life to point men and women to Christ. We are grateful to Reformation Heritage Books for permission to use John Calvin's Thine Is My Heart as our daily devotional for 2013 on the OPC Web site. You can currently obtain a printed copy of that book from Reformation Heritage Books.

No comments: