Wednesday 27 March 2013

Lenten Meditations

Words of Significance

As we approach Easter, we would refer readers to a series of meditations we published five or so years ago.  They amount to a consideration of the Seven Words uttered by our Lord from the Cross.  These seven words are, of course, timeless and eternal. 

You can find them as follows:

The first word: "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do."
The second word: "This day you will be with me in Paradise"
The third word: "Woman, behold your son"
The fourth word: "My God, my God why has thou forsaken me"
The fifth word: "I thirst"
The sixth word: "It is finished"
The seventh word: "Into Thy hands I commit my spirit"

Each of these words uttered by our Lord are public utterances--meant for His people not only to be heard, but meditated upon and puzzled over.  All seven are intrinsic to His work of atonement and the Passion. 

They may provide helpful material for meditation in the coming days of this season. 

No comments: